From time to time certain disruptive products come on to the market that are not just path breaking in itself but offer a new refinement in terms of applications of technology is concerned. There is none quite like another when it comes to the best value electric skateboard as the Onewheel. The application of a new concept, that is the use of a single wheel, does add some tough times as well in mastering the use of the product that is set to decide how the future of skateboards turn out to be.
The Single Wheel
There is quite never the missing out the prominent single wheel that tends to announce itself on the Onewheel skateboard that does stand out for the term used to describe it. Often the single wheel could mean a better effort to master a riding style that is very different from the conventional skateboards and in many ways could be the start of a new trend that could sweep through the boarding community.
- The doing away with multiple axels could signal the start of a new trend in skateboarding that could not just introduce a new way of boarding but a radical method to mobility as compared to the more sedate Action Blink S2.
- It is possible to bring the entire focus onto a single element as compared to the four wheels that are normally present in a typical board. It could mean a large adjustment in the beginning but when mastered well, do provide a mode of transport that is easier to focus attention on.
- Complete off-road characteristics are possible as the wheel is often quite large to facilitate the negotiation of bumps and rises that are so characteristic of off road uses of skateboards.
- Since there is only a single driving member, it is possible to use a more robust means of transfer of power from the motor to the wheel. Thus, the reliability of operation is improved.
- The large size of the wheel would cause even the smallest of bumps to be magnified to the rider. This is bound to create a rougher ride than otherwise possible on a multi-wheel board that is more commonly seen in public.
The single most expensive element in the Onewheel skateboard is the motor that gets to drive the wheel. It is by far a more powerful one belting out a whole 2 hp and considering the size it is only natural that a sufficient capacity is used to provide the driving force.
- A larger motor in general would mean a driving force that is high on torque. This feature provides a starting force that sets the board in motion from a still position and is quite comparable to the Genesis Hellfire that manages a performance with the use of a more expensive motor or prime driver.
- The simplicity of construction of the whole setup cannot be stressed enough as it is quite possible to focus attention to a moving part that is in good measure the most important feature on the skateboard.
- The feature that provides for a single bearing would permit a simpler design as well as a more even distribution of the driving force across the axels. This feature comes in handy when a high degree of braking is required. The board is seen to be stable in such conditions than comparable skateboards.
- The stress levels in the connecting members and associated supports are often far higher when constructed as a single element as compared to the distributive effect that the typical four wheel board provides.
The Standing Board
Usually the board where the rider gets to stand rarely finds a special mention. But in this case the factor that the person has to be placed with either foot straddling the single wheel brings the design of the board to focus. It must be said that this is not the most natural of postures and thus a particular attention must be paid to the manner that the foot is placed across the wheel that gets to sit between the feet.
- The single piece of construction allows for a stronger build that is more stable and sturdier even for those heavy built folks.
- The dynamic balancing system works to good effect to keep the rider centered over the moving wheel at all times, thus reducing fatigue at best. This could translate to an extended time spent on the road than off it.
- The ride quality is comparable to the finer models like the top end Swagtron Swagboard NG-1, which provide a smoother ride.
- The need to provide for a thicker board does compromise on quality performance at best. The flexibility is something that gets sacrificed to some extent.
The Novelty Factor
There is no denying that a single wheel design is ground breaking without any parallels in the history of skateboards. That something of this nature has been attempted at such a scale must be appreciated. As is the case when something new is being tried out, there is going to be the detractors as well but in the final count, it is the quality of design and the ability to provide a quality of experience that surpasses the completion that would count.
- The attention that something that is radically different from what is normally on offer get to command is to be expected. But the long term prospects of such a different approach would be decided by the ability of the implement to match up an equal amount of performance.
- It is important that budgets are kept in mind while designing and the manufacturer of such a radical concept as it is easy to lose track of the prime objectives once into the project fully.
- Rarely would people be willing to spend money on technology and approach that is very different from what is already on offer. It thus could be gamble at best.