A skateboard truck, which is a T-shaped instrument, used to keep your skateboard safe is a must-have accessory.
They mount on the underside of your skateboard and help to protect its wheels and bearings.
If you are creating your skateboard, then this accessory becomes even more critical to have in your arsenal.
Before I present you with the 20 best skateboard trucks, I’d be explaining what its features, its components and what exactly you need to know when buying one is.
Table of Contents
- 1 Skateboard Truck Buying Guide
- 2 Best Skateboard Trucks Review
- 2.1 Independent Silver 139mm Trucks
- 2.2 Quest Boards 5.25″ Matte Silver Double Barrel
- 2.3 THUNDER HI 147 SONORA BLACK
- 2.4 Thunder Polish Hi 147 High Performance
- 2.5 Venture Polished Low Skateboard Trucks
- 2.6 Silver Truck Company L-Class Pro
- 2.7 TENSOR Skateboard TRUCKS
- 2.8 Owlsome 5.0 Black Aluminum Skateboard Trucks
- 2.9 KRUX Skateboard Truck
- 2.10 INDEPENDENT 129 SKATEBOARD TRUCKS
- 2.11 Turbo 5.0 (7.75″ Axle) Pro Skateboard Trucks
- 2.12 Mini-Logo Skateboards 7.6-Inch Trucks
- 2.13 Bear Grizzly 852 181mm Skateboard Trucks
- 2.14 Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks
- 2.15 Independent Stage-11 169mm Silver
- 2.16 Caliber Truck Co. 10-Inch
- 2.17 Gullwing Sidewinder 2 Trucks
- 2.18 Paris V2 180mm 50° Longboard Skateboard Trucks
- 2.19 5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws
- 2.20 Venture 5.0 Lo Polished
Skateboard Truck Buying Guide
Why is this important?
Choosing a skateboard truck will dramatically affect the stability and the tricks you perform on your skateboard.
Buying the wrong truck would result in wheel bite, where your wheels rub against the board and cause you to stop in an instant during a trick or turn.
To avoid this, you need to get familiar with a ton of things like softer brushing, hard brushing, etc. as this will have an impact on your board’s overall performance.
I’ll start by explaining the features of a skateboard truck. This way, you’ll have a better idea to assess the quality of a board truck at the time of your purchase.
- Brushing: It’s group soft rings made from urethane and firmly fitter around kingpin, allowing your board to turn and pivot smoothly
- Kingpin: It is quite a large bolt, which fits inside the bushing and holds the skate trucks parts together. Kingpin has to be durable to hold everything together. Beware of the hollow kingpins. These are light in weight and compromises the strength. They are extensively being used, and you shouldn’t opt for one
- Hanger: It is a triangular metal piece and is also the largest part of the skateboard truck. It helps to support the axle of the truck, especially when you perform sharp turns and tricks
- Axle: A long pin, which runs through the hanger and attaches to the wheels
- Baseplate: It is the place where all the components are fixed. The baseplate itself is fixed onto the skateboard by screws
Ok, so you are familiar with the basic components of a new truck.
The next thing is to look for the right features, specifications and quality of these components in the board’s truck, and here is what we’ll be discussing below:
- Understanding the basic profile
- Width & height of the truck
- Getting into more details of the parts of skateboard truck
- Special materials along with reasons why and why not to have them in your new truck
Skateboard Truck Profile
A new truck usually has three different profile/shapes and is usually defined as the distance between its hanger and bottom of the deck.
But which on to choose for your board?
The LOW PROFILE is ideally perfect for boards having small wheels. This results in better stability, especially on those rigorous moves and tricks. If your board has a 50-53mm size wheel, you should definitely opt for a low profile truck.
The MEDIUM PROFILE trucks are made specifically for boards which cruise often on park and streets. They are recommended for a wheel size of 53-56mm.
The HIGH PROFILE is obviously on wheels that are 56mm+. These are used on skateboards which are extensively used on the streets or the ones with a pretty longboard.
Width & Height of the Truck
The height is something we’ve discussed above. As per the size of the wheels, choose low, mid or high profile truck.
For width, it is pretty complex, since the width of the truck should match exactly with the width of the deck.
For example, if we talk of some big brands like Thunder, Krux, ACE, Tensor, etc. they have different truck width depending on the board size, and it is important for you to be well aware of the board size before you buy a new truck.
For your ease, here is an image of brands along with their specific truck width and board sizes.
Other Parts of a Board Truck
Other than the basic components of a truck, it also has RISERS. The risers, as the name tells, are used to keep the skate higher off the ground, and it acts as a shock absorber. This will decrease or eliminate the vibration while you are riding.
Risers are small and rectangular shaped made from hard plastic or rubber material. The thickness of risers will tell how effectively they will absorb the impacts. The thicker, the better!
Each riser is firmly pinched with six screw holes, and it fits both small and longboards. This way, you can always secure the risers between the baseplate and the main deck.
Tip: Always select screws which are an inch longer than the risers you choose to add. For example, if risers are ¼”, then screws should be 1-1/4”.
However, risers are optional and depend on the wheel size. If your boar has wheels 56mm or large, then you need risers to ensure a smooth clearance on the sharp turns.
Moreover, when riding a longboard or bigger wheels, you’ll definitely experience wheel bite on sharp turns. Having risers installed will abruptly absorb the impacts and give you a smooth ride.
While they may not eliminate, in many cases, risers can help reduce vibrations while skating.
Nowadays, most of the trucks being manufactured come in different sizes and not all of them need risers.
Finally, you can choose trucks with special materials (optional). This increases the cost but offers better quality. For instance, trucks with Titanium alloys give a long life and is also lightweight.
Similarly, if you choose a truck made with magnesium, you’ll probably be enjoying a 25% less weight as compared to other manufacturers on the market.
Having a kingpin made from aluminium will not only make it lighter but also durable. However, be careful not to opt for hallow kingpin which has a bad quality.
Last but not the least you can do is check for warranty of a truck against manufacturing defects.
Best Skateboard Trucks Review
Independent Silver 139mm Trucks
Probably one of the best skateboard trucks you’ll find on the market. It measures 139mm wide and is a set of 2 lo trucks.
It comes in silver and has a high-performance. While being durable, it is perfect for nearly all types of skateboarding.
Because stability is what’s expected from a truck, the Independent Silver 139mm is no exception. You’ll get the balance on those sharp turns and while performing different tricks.
Whether you have an 8.25 deck or larger, this truck will quickly fit and is well within the working range. However, it is always recommended to check your board’s deck before buying one.
If you are a frequent street skateboarder, this truck is best suited for you.
- Perfect for Lo trucks
- Comes in set of 2
- 139mm wide which is perfect to fit on most of the boards
- Initially, it produces noise which eventually fades away with use
Quest Boards 5.25″ Matte Silver Double Barrel
Quest Boards 5.25″ Matte Silver also comes with a set of two and features double barrel brushing which makes it stand out from its competitors.
You’ll also find layered brushings that can be easily adjusted from soft to very hard. This varies from user to user. Some skateboard riders love the hard setting while some soft.
There is an angled kingpin, which will help to improve your steering on the go. It isn’t adjustable, but it would help you in enhancing your skateboarding experience.
This truck had one of the most durable designs and built with a pretty precise fit.
- Offers better stability
- Brushings need more improvement
THUNDER HI 147 SONORA BLACK
THUNDER offers you the thrilling turning response you need. It is lightweight, durable and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
This truck has been made in San Francisco, California and doesn’t be confused with the sizing image that comes along. Usually, companies have a different sizing representation which might make you confused.
If you are using risers from the following brands: Arbor, Diamond, Dooks, Girl, Independent, Loaded, Paris, Rayne and Sector 9, they aren’t compatible with the baseplate of these trucks.
Overall, THUNDER HI 147 does a pretty good job, offers a great range of stability, prevents the wheel bite and helps you enhance your skating experience.
- Hi trucks
- Coms in set of 2
- Black color
- No drawbacks
Thunder Polish Hi 147 High Performance
Look for no other trucks and grab the Thunder Polish. It is one of the top-rated skateboard trucks on the market, which has been consistently providing quality.
Not only does it comes at a very reasonable price, but it is also perfect for all type of skateboarders.
The first catch in it is its lightweight and strong design, making it quicker for faster reactions.
It comes in a set of 2 trucks in a raw polished design and will fulfil all your skateboarding demands.
Those of you looking for a much lighter option, Thunder also have hollow trucks, but it may not be as durable as Hi 147.
- Lightweight with no compromise on the quality
- High performance and durable
- Polished and scratch resistant
- Quicker turns and reacts faster
- If you opt for hollow model, it isn’t much durable
Venture Polished Low Skateboard Trucks
Made in San Francisco, California from the highest quality materials, Venture Polished is among the lightest trucks you’ll get.
It has a pretty thin profile but doesn’t get confused with that. It covers the entire skateboard, providing stability, reaction and balancing you need while performing tricks or on the sharp turns.
If you have a deck of 8.25”-8.75”, this trucks is perfect for you.
It is a Lo truck, if you are looking for Hi Trucks, then go with Venture 5.8’s.
- Great turning reaction
- Outstanding quality
- Perfect for large decks
- Lightweight & Durable
- Slightly expensive as compared to other brands
Silver Truck Company L-Class Pro
The Silver Truck is a professional grade skateboard trucks. Though it might be expensive, it offers the value of the price paid for.
It comes in a set of 2 and is perfect for beginners, intermediate and expert players.
The company has been around for more than ten years and you are guaranteed a top-notch product that delivers you quality and performance together.
This model features a hollow kingpin and is available in multiple colors.
- Available in multiple colors
- Strong and sturdy design
- Great for all experience levels
TENSOR Skateboard TRUCKS
TENSOR features a very light hollow kingpin with an axle that shaves the extra weight. It has a magnesium hanger along with a baseplate that not only reduces weight but also maintains the strength of the steel.
While this truck is 29% lighter than the traditional steel trucks, it also offers easier ollies. This makes it easier for you to skate your board.
Its hollow axle cuts down on the materials to make it lighter without any compromise on its strength and durability.
- Strong & Durable
- Easy to install
- Screwing is pretty time-consuming
Owlsome 5.0 Black Aluminum Skateboard Trucks
Owlsome is aluminium made a truck, which comes in a range of premium colors to choose from. You can match one of the colors to complement your skateboard.
The axle is made from Carson steel with a 95a black bushing which gives it the strength and a finishing touch.
It also uses the Owlsome’s exclusive precision ABEC 7 bearings that come with your purchase.
Overall, it is a pretty nice skateboard truck ready to offer your skateboard extra strength and balancing.
- Made form aluminium which makes it lightweight
- Carson steel axle with black bushing
- Perfect for 52mm x 31mm 99a skateboard wheels
- It comes with six black screws and two silver ones which looks pretty awkward when screwed
KRUX Skateboard Truck
The Krux K4 skateboard trucks are made for all type of players. Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or expert skater, this truck is guaranteed to hold your balance on the sharpest turns and those crazy tricks
It has some of the best cushions with a solid baseplate that nicely fits under the skateboard.
Risers from Arbor, Diamond, Dooks, Girl, Independent, Loaded, Paris, Rayne and Sector 9 are not compatible with the baseplates. Make sure you check your brand before buying.
- Comes with the best cushions
- Nice and sturdy fitting baseplate
- Comes in set of 2
- No drawbacks
INDEPENDENT 129 SKATEBOARD TRUCKS
Undoubtedly, the INDEPENDENT 129 has one of the best geometry with a modern performance and iconic look.
Its newly crafted geometry with a standard baseplate looks incredible.
Its stage 10 design is light in weight and comes with improvised hardware made for precise turns, better stability, less-high speed wobble and a decreased wheel bite.
- Offers more overall grind clearance
- Better performance and long lasting
- Doesn’t come with hardware
Turbo 5.0 (7.75″ Axle) Pro Skateboard Trucks
Turbo 5.0 offers a proven lightning quick response. Thanks to its lightweight design with unmatched levels of control.
It has got amazing strength with a custom turbo detailing. This truck is perfect for Deck Size 8”-5.5” and comes in a set of 2.
- Comes in multiple color options
- Lightweight design
- Unmatched levels of control and strength
- Customer service is slow
Mini-Logo Skateboards 7.6-Inch Trucks
This truck is made for the small deck but offers the same combination of strength, stability and smooth turning.
It is lightweight and comes with premium alloys. The high-rebound bushings and precision axles give you the support on those sharp turns and crazy skateboard stunts.
Because of its smart technical built, no brake is needed. Simply turn and grind smoothly right out.
The ultra-high rebound urethane bushings are worth mentioning here for a smooth and precise control.
- High-performance truck with amazing strength, stability and smooth turning
- Extremely light in weight with no compromise on quality and performance
- High-rebound bushings with precision axles
- Lifetime warranty for any manufacturing defects
- No drawbacks
Bear Grizzly 852 181mm Skateboard Trucks
For a good longboarding experience, Bear Grizzly 852 is the truck you need for your skateboard. It goes well with your riding style, no matter your skill with skateboarding.
This truck is made from the highest quality standards, it is durable and performs great on the streets.
It comes in a package of 2 trucks and is designed for freeriding, carving and cruising. The 52-inch baseplate angle fits firmly on the deck, and barrel bushing shape offers better stability and shock absorbing.
Since it is made of new-aluminium alloy formula, this truck is lighter than ever. It comes with all the leaning assembly with bushing base lock-in.
- Best truck for street skating
- Fits well with all kinds of riding styles
- Versatile and easy to install
- Lightweight and quite strong
- No drawbacks
Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks
For a better ride and feel, you need the Caliber Trucks that comes at a pretty reasonable price and is excellent for freeriding or downhill driving. It has a 184mm long with a 50-degree baseplate and comes with an 89a blood orange ultra-high rebound brushings.
You can choose from a multitude of colors, and it is pretty easy to fit and install on your skateboard.
- Pivot has a higher tolerance
- Grade 8 hex head kingpin for durability
- Reinforced baseplate increases its strength
- Solid construction
- Despite great bushings, people still have issues with their softness
Independent Stage-11 169mm Silver
A redesigned model from Independent with an incredible geometry and ready to cover the toughest terrains out there. It is actually an improved version of the previous trucks offered by Independent.
It has better performance which is made for modern skateboarding. Also, being a little taller truck, it offers more range of motion with minimal wheel bite and overall better grind clearance.
- Old school deck with better quality
- Set of 2 trucks
- No hand-up yoke
- Feature chrome alloy steel axles with grade 8 kingpins
- Bushings feel way too soft
Caliber Truck Co. 10-Inch
Whether it be an uphill drive, tough terrain or downhill, Caliber Truck is ready with its incredible geometry to offer you the stability and balance you need. With grade 8 kingpin, no-rake hanger faced hanger and double barrel bushings; it is the best truck made for all type of skateboarders.
Whether it be those fast straights or tight corners, you won’t feel the wheel bite nor will you go out of balance. Overall, it is a nice truck made to offer better stability to your skateboard.
- Better stability with lower 44-degree geometry
- Durable and strong constructions
- Robust performance
- Double barrel bushings
- Caliber 44s is bulkier and slightly less response at slow speeds
Gullwing Sidewinder 2 Trucks
Gullwing truck is designed to offer you the best carving trucks. Its revolutionary double stack geometry features a premium 89a cone and barrel combo bushings. This prevents the wheel bite and also offers the stability on sharp turns
I love its carving as they are made big and makes the truck flexible enough to handle the toughest and roughest rides. Ever part of this truck is made with perfection and to offer you the best riding experience.
- Dual pivot hanger
- Cone shaped bushing for stability and turnability
- Perfect for uphill and downhill rides
- Some users say it is pretty hard to understand and install
Paris V2 180mm 50° Longboard Skateboard Trucks
Having a 50 ° baseplate means you have the best stability and support, no matter on which terrain you are skating. It has a reverse geometry with a width of 180mm and is made with 90a premium bushing durometer.
Not to mention, it is the top-selling longboard trucks with better features and durability. The bushing seat works perfectly for individuals who love a carvy and surfy feeling setup. While the design is par excellence, this truck looks and feels great when you ride.
- 180mm width for better support
- Reverse geometry which is easy to install
- Barrel/cone bushing shape with a durometer of 90a
- Multiple color options available
- Feels squeaky when carving
5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws
With a multitude of color options and a strong metal alloy finish, Turbo Speed truck is probably the most durable truck you’ll find on the market. It features a 5’ hanger with 7.63” axle length and is perfect for 7.5”, 7.63” and 7.75” decks.
Your purchase comes with a set of 2 mid profile trucks and a set of 1” Phillips Screws to install the truck on your skateboard. Though there isn’t any manual that guides you how to install it, it is pretty simple and straightforward.
- Metal Alloy Finish which makes it durable
- High-quality Phillips Screws
- Comes with a set of 2 mid profile trucks
- While the bushings are good, you may feel a slight wheel bite
Venture 5.0 Lo Polished
Get your hands on the Venture quality and durability which offers their 5.0 Lo Polished skateboard trucks with a standard baseplate with all of its materials made in the USA.
It has a nice profile offering better stability and support for all types of terrains. You just need to install it on your skateboard, and that’s all you need to perform those crazy tricks and thrill with the sharp turns without any wheel bite.
- Durable & strong construction
- Bushings absorbs the shocks and prevents wheel bite
- Easy to mount
- No drawbacks
So, that’s for today guys. I hope this article helped you in finding the best skateboard trucks. If you have any questions or confusions, feel free to ask them in the comment section. I’ll be more than happy to help you out at Roger Skateboards.