Happy New Year people and if you are still looking for the best skateboard helmet, this article is for you.
It’s been long since I’ve posted anything about skateboards, so I thought to share some of the best skateboard helmets that we’ve handpicked based on our research.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Skateboard Helmets Review
- 1.1 Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skateboard Helmet
- 1.2 Triple Eight Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner
- 1.3 Punisher Skateboards Pro Series 13-Vent Dual Safety Certified
- 1.4 Triple Eight 3037 Dual Certified, Small/Medium, All Black Rubber
- 1.5 Triple 8 Downhill Racer Helmet
- 1.6 TSG Pass Helmet
- 1.7 JBM CPSC ASTM Certified
- 1.8 Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet
- 1.9 ProRider BMX Bike & Skate
- 1.10 Razor V-17 Youth Multi-Sport
- 1.11 Nutcase – Patterned Street Bike Helmet for Adults
- 1.12 Critical Cycles Classic Commuter Bike/Skate/Multi Sport
- 1.13 Punisher Skateboards 11-Vent Multi-Sport
- 1.14 Flybar Dual Certified CPSC Multi Sport
- 1.15 Kryptonics Step Up Large/XLarge
- 1.16 Krash Vector Victor
- 1.17 Traverse Vigilis 2-in-1
- 1.18 VIGOR AUDIO HELMETS – Built-In Bluetooth Speakers
- 2 How to Choose Good Skateboard Helmet
Best Skateboard Helmets Review
Since safety is our first concern no matter what activity we do, you must think of it as a serious and long-term investment and should not hesitate if you have to spend a few extra bucks for a quality product.
Take your time to go through these helmets and pick the best out of the bests.
You either pay for a quality product or go home. Pro-Tec Classic Helmet is not a mere mortal you’re dealing with. This item is made to protect your head no matter how fast you are skating.
Whether it be bumps or rough fall offs while skating, you don’t need to worry with this helmet on your head. It is made with the latest technology that has the ability to absorb low and high impacts.
Another annoying thing that happens during skateboarding is sweat tripping down our face and distracting us. Pro-Tec has a wicking liner built-in the helmet that prevents sweat from dripping on your face, thus allowing you to maintain your focus.
Additionally, this product consists of 11 large vents for better heat ventilation and keeping your head cool. Moreover, it is lightweight, versatile and comfortable and can be used in various other sports.
The main shell is molded inside with 2-stage foam liner that offers better protection against low impacts and bumps.
This item meets all CPSC, NZ and ASTM safety standards and the foam liner passes all safety measures and testing.
So, no matter how fast you skate your board on the streets or down the hill, you can trust this helmet for the ultimate safety you need.
- Meets all safety standards
- Offer maximum impact absorption
- Comes with nylon-webbed straps for added safety
- 11 well-placed vents to keep your head cool
- When choosing size, you need to pick a size bigger than the current one
- Its matte finish, if gets scratches, gets too much visible
Triple Eight is a stylish and popular brain-saver rubber helmet that comes in two premium colors, EPS hard foam and sweatsaver technology. It is designed to withstand all types of impacts and fits perfectly on your head.
Its hard foam version is CPSC certified and could be used for other sports like bicycling. This product is made specially for those who love every day freeride. Inside it is a terrycloth liner that wicks sweats and prevents it from dripping on your face or possibly going inside your eyes.
Moreover, it is well-ventilated and the absorbed sweat eventually evaporates and doesn’t leave behind any nasty odor.
Though it must be noted that the shock absorbing hard rubber would gradually crack from impacts, if any, and would become less efficient for subsequent impacts. Don’t need to worry, you’ll still be safe to ride. Furthermore, its sweatsaver is designed as multi-impact helmet, which means, despite multiple spills, this helmet will still protect your head.
Make sure to pick the right size when buying this item. Overall, it is a comfortable and versatile safety equipment with multi-impact design made to last longer and meet all your expectations.
- Advanced multi-impact design
- Adjustable strap
- Triple eight customized logo rivets with sweatsaver liner inside
- Good ventilation to keep your head cool while skating
- While it is 100% guaranteed to protect your head from all impact, it doesn’t meet CPSC, ASTM or NZ certification
- The plastic on the outside of the shell is a bit thin, though it won’t break easily
This is a one size fits all helmet with an extremely affordable price and comes with 3 pad sets that can be changed to get the perfect fit. It features 12 air cooling vents to keep your head cool and dry off the sweat the its sweatsaver absorbs while you are skating.
It has ABS Shell with Gray EPS Impact Absorption Liner that offers the best protection against all heavy and light impacts. The helmet also features a quick release buckle with quick turn strap adjustment so that you can easily take it off or tighten it. It is a heavy duty nylon strap and won’t break easily like the cheap models.
This product meets all the ASTM F-1492 and CPSC-1203 safety standards. You can trust this safety equipment for your head protection against all impacts.
It has a beautiful bright neon blue color that shines in the dark and 12-vent air cooling vents to keep your head cool while skating. Inside its main shell are 3-heat sealed removable foam pads. You can remove them to fit the helmet as a small, medium or large. This makes it a one size fits all!
Overall, this item comes at a fairly reasonable price and is made to protect you from all types of impacts.
- Dual safety standard
- 12-vent air cooling vents to keep your head cool while skating
- Available in 9 beautiful color options
- Affordable price
- While the chin straps are quick off or on, they are somewhat difficult to use
Triple Eight is an affordable certified helmet with a durable construction and is smartly engineered and tailored to meet all your safety requirements. It’s also known as the best multi impacts helmets, thanks to its unique design and unmatchable quality.
The company also manufactures top notch skateboards and long boarding kits.
The Triple Eight features an outer shell and a sweat saver liner on the inside so no sweat drips on your face and distracts you from your ride or make you uncomfortable.
It is the design of the helmet that makes it great and unique from its competitors. The side cut is very stylish and looks great on the head and also features a customized triple eight logo rivets. It’s also properly ventilated that helps to evaporate/dry out the sweat and prevent smell or bacteria.
You’ll also get a perfect fit because of its 360-degree wrap around design and this ensures there is no liner separation in its interior.
It complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for bicycle helmets for individuals age 5 and older plus the ASTM F-1492-08 Safety Standards for Skateboarding. Moreover, CE EN 1078 for pedal cyclists, skateboarders and roller skaters compliant and AS/NZS 2063 for bicycle helmets compliant.
It comes with 2 sets of fit pads just in case you need a customize fit.
- Dual Certified product
- Triple eight customized logo rivets
- Affordable price
- No drawbacks
It’s not common that you hear of a full face helmet for skateboarding. Or do you? Well, the triple 8 downhill racer helmet is one of those which is comfortably low weight and provides considerably better protect in the event of an impact.
Though one may say that why not choose a simple motorcycle helmet? To be honest, those are ridiculously heavy and you aren’t much doing any physical activity while riding a motorcycle.
Right out of the box, this item has offers a perfect fit and maximum protection against all types of impacts and unlike some cheap helmets whose efficiency would fade after a couple of impacts, this helmet can bear subsequent impacts easily.
Its interior has been redesigned in order to meet all needs of downhill skaters and also to pass CPSC and ASTM certification. Needless-to-say, it has a pretty sturdy construction that takes you into confidence the moment you put it on your head.
The only thing you’ll hate about Triple 8 racer fullface helmet is its tinted visor and if you are a frequent night rider, it can be pretty riskier. Overall, its visor is excellent and the tint also reduces glare and low distortion optics for a great sight.
- A great full face helmet offers better protection against all types of impacts
- Capable of bearing subsequent impacts no matter how hard it hits the ground
- Sturdy construction which is made to last for years to come
- While it is made sleek and stylish, it also protects your brain and face
- Tinted visor, not perfect for night time skating
Some people want safety and looks at the same time and TGS Pass Helmet is one of those beauties. While it is extremely light in weight, it looks attractive on the streets and is a full face helmet.
Unlike many helmets, it doesn’t have any EPS foam visible around the edges of its shell and also features magnetic cheek pads that makes cleaning easier and also comes with liner for added comfy fit.
However, its finish around mouthpiece is a bit flawed and you have to be careful when choosing the size.
Its venting system is worth mentioning here that helps keep your head cool. Also, if you love to wear your favorite goggles, you can. Thanks to its spacious front opening that allows you to do so.
Its liner feels extremely comfortable the moment you wear it and even when near-saturated with sweat on hotter days, you won’t have any trouble wearing it and riding down the street. You’ll also love its double D-ring closure system.
As compared to other products at the same price, its chin guard has enough flex and passes the squeezer test and thus increases your overall confidence level when riding on the road.
- Precision manufacturing with maximum visibility
- Anti-fog coating and perfect size fit so you feel comfortable when riding on the streets or speeding down the hill
- International Downhill Federation Certified and lined with EPS impact foam
- Comes with 2 spherically rounded visors, one electric silver and one clear
JBM Helmet is designed for multi-sports activities like cycling, skateboarding, BMX biking, inline and roller skating. When it comes to safety, you can trust this brand as it is CPSC ASTM certified and is ready to bear all types of impacts with ease without breaking.
It comes with adjustable straps and three size variations. You can manually adjust these straps and side buckle if the size feels too tight or loose and skate comfortably.
Its impact resistance abilities with anti-shock functioning are worth mentioning here. This also shows how seriously the brand takes care of your safety. JBM helmet is constructed from the highest quality hard shell with tough and durable PVC & PC with EPS foam that protects your head from direct impacts and efficiently absorbs impacts.
Overall, it has a great ventilation thanks to its aerodynamic design with multiple vents that maintains a healthy flow of air as your ride.
- Effective impact resistance with a durable shell and soft liner for maximum absorption
- Proper ventilation to keep your head cool while riding
- Adjustable straps made for a perfect fit
- Multi-sports gear. Ideal for skateboarding, roller skating, inline skating, scooter, rollerblading, two-wheel electronic board and longboards
- Adjustable straps aren’t durable. Must be used with care
The Bern helmet is popular for its durable outer shell which is constructed from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) polymer which gives it superior strength and durability. This shell is structurally sound and strong enough and is capable to handle the hardest impacts without breaking and also protecting your head at the same time.
Performance wise this helmet is top-notch and will ensure maximum safety and has a good ventilation thanks to its 11 vents that keeps your head dry. These vents actually do a very great job.
Overall, it has a solid shell with a nice knit winter liner and has been tested to bear the toughest impacts and protect your head and has a stylish look that will make the heads turn on the road.
- Available in multiple color options
- Thinshell EPS foam which is durable and long lasting
- Hard visor design with an outstanding ventilation
- Extremely comfortable and stylish
- Slightly expensive
This is the BMX type helmet perfect for kids, youth and adults and comes at a very reasonable price with some enticing features. It’s not your ordinary skateboard helmet but a classic multi-sports helmet with extra hard outer shell for maximum protection on the road.
Proper ventilation vents have been integrated to keep your head cool and ensure that sweat dries out quickly without leaving any bad odor behind.
The durable polyester straps with quick release buckle are worth mentioning and allows you to securely fit on your head.
For additional adjustment, it has padded inserts for perfect fitting.
- Meets all the safety standards
- Proper ventilation and durable design
- Hard outer shell
- Polyester straps
- Design is somewhat not much attractive
The Razor V-17 comes with cutting-edge safety made for youth and is a multi-purpose helmet. It has a sleek and stylish design and comes in a wide range of color options. The furnished interior has padding that makes it comfortable and secure.
It also features whopping 17 top and side vents to keep your head cool and comes with side release buckles for customized adjustments.
- Offers maximum safety
- Perfect for youth and kids
- Made for ages 8 to 14 and is CPSC compliant
- May be large for kids age 8 or 9
You can wear an ordinary helmet but with Nutcase on your head, you’ll not only feel safe but also confident when riding your board. It fits your head perfectly and has a unique dial system to adjust to your perfect fit.
The product is also certified for biking and skating and is extremely light in weight with multiple venting system that keeps you cool throughout and makes your commute comfortable and enjoyable.
- Maximum protection for your head
- Lightweight and ventilated
- Unique dial in system for easy adjustment
- Available in multiple color options
While it’s not a full face but has enough face covering outer shell that gives you the feel of a full face helmet. It is US CPSC safety standard tested and approved and comes with 11 cooling vents that keeps you comfortable and also comes with 2 sets of removable pads for a perfect fit.
Overall, it keeps your head protected and is a multi-purpose helmet that comes in beautiful hues and suites your personality.
- Sizing is perfect
- US CPSC Safety standard tested and approved
- Multiple color options
- Multi-purpose product
- No drawbacks
Because we all love cool graphics on our helmet, the Punisher helmets are one of those that have some cool graphics embedded on the outer shell and looks extremely stylish.
Its medium size is perfect for ages 5+ and can be used by kids of the age up to 14 years. You won’t have to worry about the safety as its ABS plastic shell with black EPS foam liner is CPSC safety standard compliant.
- Adjustable chin straps for customized fit
- 11 cooling vents
- Hard outer shell
- Cool graphics on the outer shell
- It’s slightly large and rounded
A dual certified helmet (CPSC & ASTM Certified) and is multi-purpose. So, whether you love skateboarding, bicycling, longboarding, roller, scooter or pogoing, this helmet is made for you. It comes in seven different colors and design options.
It has a durable outer shell with EPS foam inner lining and protects your head from those heavy impacts while offering you a comfortable snug fit. Also, it has a spin dial on the back for a perfect and safe fit.
- CPSC & ASTM safety certified
- Available in multiple color option
- Adjustable spin dial for a perfect fit
- A few colors and design options are very expensive
Kryptonics is a popular brand that manufactures some of the best skateboard helmets. It is ideally made for kids and youth and meets all the safety standards to offer the highest level of protection to your kids.
Though the helmet has very limited color options but overall, it fits perfectly on the head, offers proper ventilation and comes at a very affordable price.
- A perfect and durable product for kids
- Comfortable fit
- Proper ventilation
- Padded interior
- No drawbacks
Krash Vector Victor Helmet is CPSC & ASTM certified and it is not an ordinary helmet. A very unique and stylish helmet with cool graphics and some extra accessories that will make the heads turn.
This item has a shock-absorbing EPS inner shell that protects your head and features aerodynamic cooling vents. Moreover, it has molded 3D design that gives it an extra cool look. The nylon straps adjust for a great fit.
- CPSC & ASTM certified
- Durable shock and impact absorbing EPS inner shell
- Able to withstand subsequent impacts
- Cool molded 3D design
- The plastic on the outer shell is not durable
Traverse Vigilis is one of the most durable helmets on the market with 14 vents for proper ventilation and comes with shock absorbing EPS interior and a durable ABS shell exterior. You can easily adjust it to your customized fit.
It also has removable plush earmuffs for warmth during winter and aids in more protection. Inside the helmet are replaceable foam pieces for a perfect adjustable. Overall, it is a premium grade helmet, made to last longer and offer maximum protection.
- 14 cooling vents
- Easily adjustable
- Goggle clip to keep the eyewear intact
- Durable and certified
- Chin strap not easy to adjust
It is time to step up your game with your favorite music. The VIGOR helmet comes with built-in Bluetooth speakers and is a triple certified helmet ensuring maximum safety. This helmet is also multi-purpose and helps to enhance your action sports with your favorite music in the background.
Inside this product are two sets of interchangeable pads that gives you a custom fit with adjustable cam locks on straps without any no-pinch magnetic buckle size.
- US SPSC bicycle & global ASTM skateboard safety standard tested and approved
- Multi-purpose helmet
- Built-in Bluetooth speakers with outstanding results
- Comes with two sets of interchangeable pads for custom fit
- Proper ventilation
- No drawbacks
How to Choose Good Skateboard Helmet
While knowing the best options available on the market is important, but what to choose and how to choose is even more important.
Here is a guide that will help you pick the right skateboard helmet for you.
Before we begin, I would highlight a sad reality that many of us think of skateboard helmet as an item that doesn’t deserve a lot of investment. We try to save our money, while it is the most important gear of our skateboard riding. I would highly recommend to invest a few extra bucks for a good product rather than risking yourself.
The most important thing I consider is fitting of the helmet. You simply can’t buy a helmet of the wrong fitting and waste your time and money on returns and reorders.
To accurately measure the size for your helmet is by using a measuring tape. Start by measuring approx. 2.5cm above your eyebrows or forehead and around the complete circumference of the head.
This will give you a perfect fitting and thus will prevent you from choosing the wrong size.
Different Types of Helmet and Which One to Choose
While there is a standard skateboard helmet type but here are a few different available on the market you can also choose from:
These are the best types of helmets that offer the highest level of safety on the road. Since your entire face is covered, there is no chance that your head or any part of your jaw hits the ground in case of an impact. This one is perfect for those who love aggressive riding.
Kids & Youth
For kids, helmets from Wiggle range are the best. If you are buying skating gear for your young one, I’ll highly recommend Wiggle helmets. They are the best known for safety standards.
As the name implies, these helmets have very great looks, they are extremely light in weight, extremely vented with race pedigree features but are very expensive.
These helmets are available in full face and open face. The full versions offer a lot of protection and meets all the demands of BMX racing whereas the open face are made for flatland riding and dirt jumping.
Mountain Bike Helmets
For extra coverage, great ventilation and retention, the mountain bike helmets are perfectly designed with such features. If you love the downhill skating, this is the helmet you need.
For time sensitive racing, you’ll need the time trial helmet. The main benefit of this helmet is to provide you aerodynamic benefits along with protection when the clock is ticking.
Aero Road Helmets
This is a new type introduced in the market which lies between trial helmet and vented helmet and is nicely designed to provide you with the ease of movement, lightweight and compact size along with aerodynamic advantages.
These type of helmets are multi-purpose and can be used for sports other than skateboarding like cycling, bike riding, etc.
Though it is obvious that helmets are designed to provide you safety but it is important that you ensure it is 100% safe and will guarantee protection. It must be made of a durable plastic outer shell and should have a hard rubber inner shell that can withstand the impacts and subsequent impacts.
Because we all easily get distracted by the sweat dripping down the face as we skate, and this may result in a fall over or possibly lose the balance while wicking it off with our sleeves, proper ventilation and sweat saver is necessary.
Make sure the helmet you choose has proper ventilation so your head remains cool throughout the ride and helps maintain your focus on balancing while riding or performing tricks.
Straps & Retention System
The last thing to look for in your helmet is the straps and retention system. Straps help to keep the helmet tightly intact while allowing you to easily open your mouth to talk, drink or eat that chocolate bar.
When it comes to straps, the ones which create a v-shaped form beneath the ear lobe is a must have. You can choose helmets with normal straps.
Finally, the retention system should also be considered. You must be able to easily adjust it to your stable fit
Also make sure the helmet has enough padding so it is comfortable to wear and absorb the sweat. Some helmets come with removable padding and this allows you to easily wash your helmet and keep it hygienic.
Why You Should Wear a Skateboard Helmet?
- No matter how professional skateboarder you are. The moment you step on your board; you are risking yourself since the control is no longer in your feet but the board. Even if you have never crashed since the time you’ve started to skate, you never know when you’ll crash. It’s better that your head never knows how hard concrete is
- You may not be an aggressive rider but even at slow speed you can fall and a soft impact can badly damage your delicate skull. Your wrist or collar bone can heal easily but the brain can’t
- Always make sure that you buy a skateboard helmet and not an ordinary one. Every helmet is typically designed for a specific sports based on the physical activity it requires and the level of safety it needs
- Make sure your helmet is certified and meets all the safety standards. A non-compliant helmet may be good and durable but not trustworthy
Miscellaneous Things To Consider
- Color: If you are a too picky person, go with some brands who offer multiple color options. I’ve listed down multiple helmets which have more than 10+ color options to choose from. Most of the bran are limited to two or three colors only
- Graphics: While helmets have the brand logo but some come with stylish graphics and neon like features with some extra cost. You can pay extra and get them
So, that’s it fellow skaters. Let me know if you need help with anything. I’ll be more than happy to answer your queries in the comment section below.